Tuesday, September 11, 2012

MathMania

I have been collecting awesome photos of the happenings in my new class, but must wait for the photo consent forms from my class parents before I can post anything new.  Until then, I have some recommended math links and a FREE resource I have created for first grade math teachers!

I have to admit, I'm a fan of the Common Core Learning Standards. It's been a very time consuming adjustment, but I like knowing that across the country we're all on the same page. In New York City, we have a helpful resource (which is public), called the Common Core Library. Although it's created by our Department of Education, it applies to any school district implementing the Common Core Learning Standards. I encourage you to visit the Common Core Library.

 In addition to this website, I also use K-5 Math Teaching Resources. This website recommends math literature for each standard and has printable center activities for selected strands. Again, everything on both sites is absolutely FREE! Disclaimer:  I don't find the resources to be visually appealing, so I usually edit them for my own use, but they give me ideas for hands-on activities that I might not have thought of on my own.

One of the greatest challenges in my lesson planning this year has been the new "Scope and Sequence" New York City has published for each grade. They suggest the order in which we should teach each standard as well as how long we should spend on the different standards. Some of the Everyday Mathematics Units must be condensed into a week, while others must be spread over ten. I've had to revise my entire pacing calendar. If you are using Everyday Mathematics in your schools, you may have noticed it is not the most Common-Core-friendly program out there. I am currently working on a FREE academic year pacing calendar that aligns first grade Everyday Mathematics Lessons with the CCLS Scope and Sequence.  Click on the picture below to check out my progress so far!

Click Here!

Do you have any tips for aligning Everyday Math and the Common Core Learning Standards? Here's what they have to say about it: Everyday Math CCLS PDF

Wishing you a magical week with much success in your math planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment